Screen flickering is a prevalent issue that PS4 users come across and it’s frustrating when it interferes with your gaming experience. You’re probably here because you’re experiencing just that, but don’t worry, this guide will provide easy and effective methods to solve your PS4 screen flickering problem.
Understanding Screen Flickering
When the PS4 screen flickers, it interferes with gameplay, making the gaming experience far less enjoyable. This issue can arise due to various reasons, such as an issue with your TV, PS4 software glitches, faulty HDMI cables, or incorrect system settings. Understanding this can help identify which method to use to solve this problem.
Solution 1: Check the HDMI Cable and Ports
One of the most common causes of screen flickering is a faulty HDMI cable or port. Therefore, ensure that your HDMI cables and ports are in good working condition.
Check the HDMI cable: Replace the HDMI cable temporarily with a new one to see if this resolves the issue. If the flickering stops, you know that the HDMI cable was the culprit, and you will need to purchase a new one.
Check the HDMI ports: If the HDMI cable doesn’t seem to be the problem, next, check the HDMI ports both on the TV and the PS4. Any damage to these ports could cause screen flickering. If this is the problem, you might need professional assistance to fix or replace the ports.
Solution 2: Adjust the Video Output Settings
Sometimes, PS4 screen flickering arises due to incorrect video output settings. Follow these steps to check and adjust them:
- Navigate to the PS4 Settings menu
- From the options, select Sound and Screen
- Select Video Output Settings
- Under Resolution, select the resolution that is compatible with your TV
- Under RGB Range, select Full if your TV supports it, otherwise, choose Limited
- Similarly, adjust the other settings like HDR and Deep Color Output according to your TV’s capabilities
Solution 3: Update PS4’s System Software
Outdated software may contain bugs that can cause screen flickering, so it’s crucial to keep your PS4’s system software updated.
- Navigate to the Settings menu on your PS4
- Scroll down and select System Software Update
- If any updates are available, download and install them
Solution 4: Enable Safe Mode
If the above methods don’t work, you can try rebooting your PS4 in Safe Mode. Running in Safe Mode will only load the essential system components; thus, if the flickering stops in this mode, you’ll know the problem is likely to be from a software glitch.
- Power off your PS4 completely
- Press and hold the power button until you hear a second beep sound
- Connect your PS4 controller with a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller
- In the Safe Mode menu, select Change Resolution and then choose a resolution that is compatible with your TV
Screen flickering can ruin your gaming experience, but by following the above methods, you can easily resolve this issue. If you’re still encountering problems, you may want to consider reaching out to PlayStation customer support or professional repair services. Always remember, keep your gaming system updated, and use the correct settings to ensure the best gaming experience.