Amazon’s Alexa, the voice-activated virtual assistant, has enhanced the way you interact with your smart home devices and listen to your favorite music. With just a simple voice command, Alexa can play, skip, or pause your tracks. However, playing specific songs can be a bit tricky if you’re unsure of the proper commands. This article will cover six practical methods for playing precise songs on Alexa using connected music streaming services.
1. Connect a Music Streaming Service to Your Alexa
To request specific songs, you must link a music streaming service to your Alexa-enabled device. For compatible services, including Amazon Music, Spotify, Apple Music, and more – follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- Access the menu and tap “Settings.”
- Scroll down and choose “Music.”
- Tap “Link New Service” and select your preferred music streaming service.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to link your service with the Alexa app.
Once connected, ask Alexa to play songs from that platform using the necessary voice commands.
2. Make Specific Song Requests
Ask Alexa directly to play a specific song by providing the song title, artist, or album. Try any of these phrases:
- “Alexa, play the song ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ by Queen.”
- “Alexa, play the album ‘Thriller’ by Michael Jackson.”
- “Alexa, play songs by The Beatles.”
3. Request Songs Based on Lyrics
Struggling to remember a song’s title or artist but recalling some lyrics? Provide Alexa with lyrics and let it find the song for you:
- “Alexa, play the song that goes, ‘We don’t need no education.'”
4. Play Specific Genres or Moods
If you want to enjoy songs tailored to a specific style, mood, or time, Alexa can curate playlists accordingly:
- “Alexa, play relaxing jazz music.”
- “Alexa, play 80s pop hits.”
5. Revisit Your Listening History
Alexa can play past tunes from your listening history or recently played tracks:
- “Alexa, play the last song I listened to.”
- “Alexa, play my most recently played songs.”
6. Use Routines to Set Custom Music Commands
Customize a routine in the Alexa app to play specific tracks upon hearing a personalized command:
- Open the Alexa app and access the menu.
- Choose “Routines.”
- Tap the “+” icon to create a new routine.
- Select “When this happens” and choose “Voice.”
- Enter your custom command (e.g., “Play my favorite song”).
- Choose “Add action” and select “Music.”
- Input the song title, artist, album, or playlist, and select your preferred music service.
- Save your routine.
Now, when you say your custom command, Alexa will play the specified song.
Armed with these six methods, make the most of your Alexa-enabled devices by playing songs tailored to your preferences. Simplify your life and enhance your listening experience using the power of voice commands.