It’s a question that’s been on the minds of many: Has anyone died in space?
The answer is yes. In fact, a total of 18 people have lost their lives either while in space or in preparation for a space mission. The first person to die in space was Russian cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov, who was killed when his parachute malfunctioned during re-entry into Earth’s atmosphere on 24 April 1967.
Image below was Vladimir Komarov….
Here are the List of occurrences and mishaps involving space flight:
1) After a three-week stay at the space station Salyut 1, the Soyuz 11 crew died after undocking. At the time of service module separation, a cabin vent valve opened due to a structural flaw.
- Georgy Dobrovolsky
- Viktor Patsayev
- Vladislav Volkov
2) The new spacecraft type had a string of problems throughout the one-day mission, the worst of which was that its parachute failed to open correctly during atmospheric reentry. When the capsule slammed into the earth quickly, Komarov was killed.
- Vladimir Komarov
3) Adams’ seventh flight, X-15 Trip 191, began with an electrical issue, which was followed by a control issue at the apogee of the flight. It’s also possible that the pilot lost his bearings.
- Michael J. Adams
4) 73 seconds after launch on STS-51-L, the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded at a height of 15 kilometers (49,000 ft). According to the study, cold weather caused an O-ring seal to break, allowing hot gases from the solid rocket booster (SRB) of the shuttle to strike the booster strut and external propellant tank. The SRB’s top rotated into the top of the tank due to the failure of the strut and the aft end of the tank, which resulted to the explosion.
5) When previously discovered damage to the Space Shuttle Columbia’s thermal protection system (TPS) caused the spacecraft to disintegrate during reentry at an altitude of just under 65 km and a speed of about Mach 19, the shuttle was lost as it returned from a two-week mission (STS-107) and was never recovered.
- Rick D. Husband
- William C. McCool
- Michael P. Anderson
- David M. Brown
- Kalpana Chawla
- Laurel Clark
- Ilan Ramon
Who is the First Human Died in Space?
As mentioned earlier, the first person who died in space related accidents or incidents is Vladimir Komarov a Russian cosmonaut.
Who are the 3 Men Lost in Space?
The 3 men lost in space were Viktor Patsayev, Vladislav Volkov and Georgiy Dobrovolsky.