Caring for a puppy includes ensuring they receive proper nutrition for healthy growth and development. Here in the Philippines, there are various puppy food options that are specially formulated to meet the unique needs of our furry little ones. In this article, we’ll delve into the five best puppy foods available in the Philippine market.
Best Puppy Foods in the Philippines
Special Dog LAMB and RICE PUPPY
Created with 100% high-quality ingredients to meet the nutritional needs of your puppy. This formula offers a range of health benefits.
- High Biological Value Proteins: Provides all the essential amino acids required for your puppy’s growth and overall health.
- Highly Digestible Carbohydrates: Contributes to stable energy levels and aids digestion for your puppy.
- Optimal Ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids: Ensures a healthy skin and a shiny coat, while supporting heart health.
- Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), Prebiotics: Helps to regulate gastrointestinal microflora for a healthy digestive system. It also aids in the absorption of calcium and other minerals essential for your pup’s development.
- Yucca Schidigera Extract: A natural ingredient known to reduce stool odor and improve digestion.
- Vitamin E and Antioxidants: These key components help to support a robust immune system.
With Scientifically balanced ingredients, Special Dog LAMB and RICE PUPPY formula offers your pup a hypo-allergenic and low cholesterol meal choice. This diet not only satisfies their hunger but also keeps them healthy and energetic.
Whooppy Dog Food Puppy
This is a specially formulated diet for puppies of all breeds. It’s packed with key ingredients to support your puppy’s overall health, from their joints to their skin and coat.
- GLUCO-C: Supports Joint Health and bolsters the Immune System.
- Boosted YUCCA EXTRACT: Ensures less odorous stool, making clean-up more pleasant.
- Omega 3 & Omega 6: Promotes healthier SKIN and a shinier COAT for your pup.
Note: Each package includes 1 kg of Whooppy Dog Food.
- Beef Meal
- Corn Products
- Broken Rice Grain
- Wheat Grains
- Soybean Meal
- Animal Products
- Animal Fat
- Full Fat Soybean Meal
- Vegetable Oil
- Iodized Salt
- DeOiled Lecithin
- Toxin Binder
- Mold Inhibitor
- Choline Chloride
- Dog Vitamin Premix
- Dog Mineral Premix
- Coated Vitamin C
- Omega-3 FA
- Yucca Schidigera Extract
- Beef Flavor
This blend of ingredients gives Whooppy Dog Food Puppy the balance of nutrients required for a growing puppy, ensuring they are healthier, happier, and more vibrant.
Royal Canin Maxi Puppy
Designed to support your large breed puppy’s growth, this food promotes immune system health and aids in the development of digestive health.
- Immune System Support: Growth is an essential stage in a dog’s life – a time of significant changes, discoveries, and new encounters. During this key period, a puppy’s immune system develops gradually. Maxi Puppy helps support your puppy’s natural defenses, especially thanks to a patented complex of antioxidants, including Vitamin E (Patent No. EP1146870, France).
- Digestive Health: The combination of nutrients enriched with high-quality proteins (L.I.P.*) and prebiotics (FOS) promotes digestive health and the balance of intestinal flora, attributing to good stool quality. The L.I.P proteins are chosen for their very high digestibility.
- Long Growth – Moderate Energy: This formula meets the moderate energy needs of large breed puppies that have a long growth period.
Royal Canin Maxi Puppy is scientifically designed to meet the specific needs of large breed puppies, aiding in their overall health, growth, and development. The right balance of ingredients in this diet ensures that your puppy grows into a happy and healthy adult dog.
Vitality Valuemeal Puppy
ValueMeal Dog Food offers complete nutrition for your puppy without compromising on affordability. This hypoallergenic, hygienic, and palatable choice is made from top-quality ingredients.
- Top Quality Ingredients: Australian lamb and beef, along with wholegrain cereals make this product highly digestible for all pups.
- Made in Australia: Known for their high standards and quality products, Australian produce offers nutritious and safe food for your pet.
- No Artificial Additives: The product contains NO artificial colors, flavors, chicken protein, salt, or by-products – only what’s best for your puppy’s health.
- Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids: Keeps your puppy’s skin healthy and their coat shiny.
- In Small Bites: Easy to chew and digest for all puppies, particularly those with smaller mouths.
- Promotes Growth: It ensures the continuous nutritional growth of your puppy, making their bones and muscles stronger.
Vitality ValueMeal Puppy provides an affordable, nutritious and tasty meal for your growing puppy, promoting their health and vitality without breaking the bank.
Top Breed Puppy Dog Meal
This dog meal is designed to provide all-around nutrition for puppies, offering multiple tastes and nutrients that puppies need for their growth and development.
- Shelf Life: 12 months, ensuring freshness and quality of the product.
- Ingredients: A blend of high-quality Meat Meal, Wheat Grains and Wheat-byproducts, Rice Middling/Bran, Soya Meal, and Beef Tallow. Vegetable Oil, Nutritional Yeast, and Animal Digest add additional nutritional values.
- Preservation and Flavor: Beef Tallow preserved with Tocopherol maintains the flavor and freshness of the meal.
- Digestive Health: Ingredients like Yucca Extract and Enzymes promote digestion.
- Well-being: With the support of Amino Acids, Vitamin and Mineral Premix, together with Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids, it helps contribute to the overall well-being of your dog.
- Additives: It is enriched by Antioxidants and Anti-mold to keep the product in excellent condition.
- Crude Protein: Minimum of 28%, which is essential for muscle development and body growth.
- Crude Fiber: A maximum of 4%, fiber aids in the dog’s digestion process.
- Moisture: Up to 12%, necessary for hydration.
- Crude Fat: Minimum of 12%, which provides energy for puppies and contributes to a healthy skin and coat.
- Fatty Acids: Omega 3 & 7 are also added for their benefits to skin, coat, and overall health.
Top Breed Puppy Dog Meal, with its comprehensive formulation, promises to provide a balanced diet for your puppy, promoting a healthy growth phase.
How to Choose Puppy Food
1. Understand Your Puppy’s Nutritional Requirements
Before diving into different brands and types of puppy food, it’s crucial to have a good understanding of your puppy’s nutritional requirements. Puppies need a unique balance of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals to fuel their rapid growth.
Proteins and fats are vital for puppies’ energy and muscle development. Protein should come from high-quality sources like real meats, poultry, and fish. High-quality fats, such as named meat fats and fish oil, offer essential fatty acids that support brain development and overall health.
In addition to proteins and fats, puppies need a proper ratio of vitamins and minerals to support their skeletal, immune, and neurological systems. Your chosen puppy food should contain all these essential nutrients to ensure balanced and complete nutrition for your pet.
2. Assess Your Puppy’s Breed, Size, and Life Stage
The size and breed of your puppy play a significant role in determining what kind of food they’ll need. Small breed puppies mature more rapidly than larger breeds, requiring a diet higher in proteins and fats to support their rapid growth. Large breed puppies, on the other hand, need a different balance of nutrients as they have a slower growth rate and are more prone to skeletal and joint problems like hip dysplasia. It’s essential to choose a food specifically formulated for their dietary needs.
Another crucial factor to consider is your puppy’s life stage. Keep in mind that puppies should be fed puppy food until they reach about 80-90% of their expected adult weight. Consult your veterinarian to determine when your puppy should transition to adult food.
3. Choose the Type of Food: Dry, Wet, or Raw
Now that you understand your puppy’s specific nutritional needs, it’s time to choose the type of food that suits them best. There are three primary types of dog food:
- Dry food (kibble): Kibble is the most popular choice among pet owners, as it’s often more affordable, easy to store, and lasts relatively long. When choosing dry food, look for premium brands with high-quality ingredients and no artificial additives.
- Wet food (canned/pouches): Wet food is more appealing to some dogs because of its texture and aroma. In addition, wet food can provide additional hydration, particularly helpful for puppies who might not be drinking enough water. However, wet food is generally more expensive and has a shorter shelf life than dry food.
- Raw food (fresh or frozen): Raw diets often consist of raw meats, organs, bones, and vegetables, providing nutrients to your puppy in their most natural form. Proponents of raw food argue that it’s the closest to a dog’s natural diet in the wild. However, raw feeding requires careful planning, handling, and preparation to ensure optimal nutritional balance and minimize the risk of bacterial contamination.
4. Analyze the Ingredient Label and Nutritional Adequacy Statement
Always read the ingredient label of your chosen puppy food thoroughly. The primary ingredients should be high-quality protein sources, followed by healthy fats and complex carbohydrates. Avoid food containing unnecessary fillers, or unidentified by-products, as they offer little nutritional value.
Also, look for the nutritional adequacy statement on the label. This statement is issued by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) and ensures that the food meets the minimum nutritional requirements for puppies.
5. Consult Your Veterinarian
Your veterinarian is an invaluable resource in choosing the best puppy food. They can offer personalized guidance for your puppy’s specific needs, considering factors such as breed, size, potential allergies, or medical conditions. Don’t hesitate to bring up any concerns or questions with your veterinarian—they’re there to help!
In summary, selecting the right puppy food is a critical decision that will influence your pet’s health and development. Understand their nutritional requirements, consider the breed, size, and life stage, explore different types of food, scrutinize ingredient labels, and consult with your veterinarian for the best advice. Remember that every puppy is unique, and as they grow and change, so too may their dietary needs. Be prepared to reassess and adapt as your puppy matures. With appropriate research, attention, and care, you’ll find the perfect food to support your puppy on their journey to adulthood.